Friday 12 October 2012

Classical CD for newborns to inspire a love of music


Every newborn baby in Scotland will receive a classical CD to inspire a love of music.

The Royal Scottish National Orchestra (RSNO) with the Association of Registrars of Scotland will offer a disc to babies born over the next year.

The CD will be distributed to all 220 offices across Scotland and is expected to reach up to 60,000 families.

The compilation titled Astar, Gaelic for 'journey', features Scottish songs, nursery rhymes and classical works.

The CD was recorded by the RSNO and RSNO Junior Chorus, led by music director Peter Oundjian.

He said: "When I was an infant my godfather gave me a tiny record player, I would place it under the family piano and put on my prized recording of Peter and the Wolf.

"It became my sanctuary, a place where I knew I could find joy.

Positive impact

"I have found that the power and beauty of music can truly transform lives and I seriously hope that the recipients of Astar enjoy many hours of shared pleasure to this wonderful music."

Recent studies have shown that listening to music has a positive impact on young children's cognitive development, the RSNO said.

Fiona Hyslop, Cabinet Secretary for Culture, said: "This delightful project will encourage an early introduction to the joy of music for Scotland's youngest children.

"It will help to give babies the best possible start in life, strengthen the building of parent-child bonds, and encourage families to use music to enhance learning in the home."

Source: BBC

Thinking of buying something on Amazon? Use the link below to give Leicester Bangs a divvy of the filthy lucre.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.