Friday 8 March 2013

Tracey Emin picks up CBE


Artist Tracey Emin has received her CBE at Buckingham Palace.

Once the wild child of the art world, Emin - known for works based on her sexual partners and unmade bed - received the honour from Princess Anne.

Emin said there was no contradiction between her rebellious persona and her trip to the heart of the establishment.

"I don't think so," she said. "I think Buckingham Palace is pretty rock 'n' roll and quite wild. I haven't changed what I do to be standing here today."

The artist rose to prominence when she was nominated for the Turner Prize in 1999 for her infamous unmade bed.

She stirred controversy with similarly candid pieces such as a tent embroidered with the names of all the people with whom she had slept.

She is also known for neon slogans spelling out heartfelt messages, like the one installed in 10 Downing Street in 2011 that read "More passion".

Other recent highlights include a full-scale retrospective at the Hayward Gallery in London; an exhibition at the Turner Contemporary Gallery in her home town of Margate, Kent; and an official poster design for the London 2012 Paralympic Games.

At Buckingham Palace, she rubbed shoulders with a number of Olympic and Paralympic competitors including sailor Ben - now Sir Ben - Ainslie.

"I was the only artist here today and I think it's really brilliant that art is appreciated in Britain," said Emin, who was honoured for services to the arts.

"When I tell American friends what is happening to me today they couldn't believe it, because it is a wonderful thing that the arts are appreciated as much as sport and business.

"It's an amazing accolade and an amazing thing to be given. And it's not just for me, it's for art in general I think."

Source: BBC

Thinking of buying something on Amazon? Kindly use the link below:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.